Thursday, July 29, 2010

Seventeen

You swear you're no happier than me
but Seventeen, at least you have dreams.
Real dreams, good ones,
not just sensible two-year plans
watered down with more prudence.

Seventeen, has no one ever told you
about the finite number of dreams, like eggs,
about dream menopause?
That's why the sleep of the old
is thin as eyelid skin,
all their dreams bled out,
their minds pregnant with memories.




The Elephant Celebes by Max Ernst



        Would you rather have dreams or memories? Really think about it -- the concreteness of memories gives a certain kind of satisfaction, but the limitless possibility of dreams is pretty seductive.

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I think you need both. Dreams drive you to create memories through their seductiveness, but ultimately memories are more satisfying in the long term due to their concreteness.

Kristen Einarson said...

Dreaming is a wonderful wonderful thing, but for me I base my dreams on good memories. I'm an actor, and if I didn't remember how good it feels for me to be on stage, then how could I dream to keep doing what I love and someday be one of my dream roles? So I think you do need both. They're kind of like belief and science, they both weigh in heavily on each other.