Friday, July 16, 2010

Poetry is cheaper than therapy

took a two-week vacation
from processing emotions to study
textbook terms of a new job
names        procedures        circadian rhythms
life changes like magnets        mixing up
the signals to my heart's compass
times like these I know to keep
that needled stone in my pocket
and just walk straight awhile
head down

now everything's piled up
on my bed like unsorted mail
tangled like extension cords
tv shows caught in my sex
life snagged on my calendar
mixed with my family clogging
the pipe I pass through
into dreaming

my bloated brain has a stomach ache
my heart        hunger pains


I'm back. And I think I need to be.




Photo by Bashereyre
Published under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 license.




        How do you keep yourself "centered"? Or, to put it another way, what do you do to settle and feel more like yourself during a big change?

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Easy: you write a poem every day. :) Seriously though, having a regular thing that you do helps keep you grounded during big changes in other aspects of your life. I'm glad you're getting back to this. In my case, my job is the regular part, so I should really get back to trying to do something I haven't done yet in my spare time. Like, oh say, make a game...

Katie said...

Is it really bad that going out (and possibly drinking) with friends is the way I center myself? Nothing is better then hanging out with the people you love and feel comfortable with when life is all topsy turny.

But still, I should probably seek out a way to comfort and please myself that doesn't involve needing the company of other (and possibly drinking).

Happy to see another poem!