Friday, June 18, 2010

Sight

My sight grows near
in its idleness, looking at the same
common objects, familiar faces
but no longer seeing them.
This wallpaper -- a dull and muted coating
on the inside of an office's yawning mouth.
There are no glasses that can show it to me
fresh and promising, as when its creator coaxed it
into existence with a curling finger.

Some days I squint at cement,
shaggy front lawns, strain and see
that every blade of grass has washed its face,
put on strands of diamonds, crowns of rubies
to attend some fancy lawn brunch.
They tremble like lips, glittering stars in a silent sky
beside the grey yard where the buses
cough black complaints into the air.




Photo by Taro Taylor



        Can you think of something generally thought to be common or plain (ie. steam from a cup of tea, rain on a window, the sound of crickets) that you find beautiful or interesting?

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Right now, I'm admiring the textured skin of the apple I'm about to eat... Also, ha you said brunch! It's too good for you, but just fine for blades of grass eh? :)

Katie said...

I don't find it beautiful or even interesting really, but I do love the sound of trains. It's a very comforting sound to me.