Wednesday, June 2, 2010

In the absence of cruelty

Between the slated wooden shutters, a bee hums.
Andrew reaches for a tattered magazine, but
instead of rolling it into a nightstick
he curves it into a shy smile.

Gently, he ushers
the bee from the window, toward the door
like guiding the proverbial old lady across the street.
It flees, panicked, from room to room,
to the comfort of familiar light through glass,
and Andrew follows it.

Eventually, they will tire: the bee
panting on the solid ground of a window sill,
and Andrew mourning in a sigh, reaching
for a shroud of paper towel.


Inspired by Stephen King's Under the Dome.



Photo by Dominic



        You don't have to answer here if you don't want to, but at least ask yourself: what's the cruelest thing you've ever done?

4 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Hey, I try my darnedest to get those bugs out of the house without killing them. :)

Katie said...

Sister, I still feel guilty to this day about what we did to beloved bees before journeying to Science North. And the sad thing is now I love bees! They're probably my favorite bug after caterpillars.

I saved a june bug last week. And I don't even like june bugs, so that's something. Mainly I didn't kill it because I truly hate the crunchy sound they make when they get stepped on.

Jasmine. said...

this is moving.

the cruelest thing i've ever done ... omitted a person out of my life, as if they never existed in it. and not feeling guilty.

i was the vicious fly swatter, while they were the fly.

shannon teresa said...

I hate killing bugs too, you never know if it's their birthday or anniversary, or if they just got some big promotion.

The cruelest thing I've ever done is throw my dog into a tree, but it was punishment for charging a child. I think cruelty is void of cause, so in that case, thankfully, nothing comes to mind. OH sometimes I spit on ant hills just to watch the commotion...not nice