Friday, May 14, 2010

Rusty tools

  1. Hammer

    So much potential inevitably gets stowed
    like rusty tools, heaped in a cardboard box
    on the top shelf of my to-do list. Sometimes
    I take them out and look at them all.

    Then, overwhelmed by
    their many cryptic functions,
    their multitude, I put them
    all back, one by one.

  2. Screw driver

    In other dimensions
    there are version of me:
    They have cello string lines
    for fingerprints, names stamped
    on business cards and dust jackets.
    Paint obeys them.

    They call me up on rainy Saturdays
    to chat, but I don’t answer
    so they call up my mother
    who does.

  3. Tape measure

    at dinner        he eats
    one bite of rice
    one bite of chicken
    one bite of carrot

    one bite of rice
    one bite of chicken
    one bite of carrot

    one bite of rice
    one bite of chicken
    one bite of carrot

    and if fullness comes too soon
    he will leave unfinished        on his plate

    one bite of rice
    one bite of chicken
    one bite of carrot

    and it won’t matter because
    at dinner        he eats
    for experience        not accomplishment




I've fallen into the habit of writing short, two-stanza poems lately, and I'm really trying to break out of it. So I wrote a short, two-stanza poem, and this was the only thing I could think to do. Next week, I have a goal: new format!!




Photo by Per Erik Strandberg



        What are some of your "rusty tools"? Can you think of any skills or interests you were really involved with at one point, but sort of let fall away in favour of pursuing other things?

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

That's a weird one... I left my calculus skills behind in favour of not doing calculus I suppose. :) Actually I left my higher level math skills behind in general, because I just don't use them in my day to day programming. However I must say, now that I'm getting into game programming, algebra and trigonometry are coming back with a vengeance. :)

Mary said...

I've always been a pretty artistic person, but I kind of feel like I'm a jack of all trades master of none... I've dabbled in quite a few instruments, I can KIND of draw/cartooning, I'm pretty good at page layout, I always did well at writing in school... but I don't feel any of these skills are truly great. I think I have the best chance at excelling at guitar (and voice, but that's just because it's the easiest instrument there is) and I do kick myself that I don't work at it more. I think I'd be a sick drummer too, but it really tires out my arms and leg. I think I'd be better if I focused on bongos and the djembe. Aaanyway long story short, I need to make time and properly teach myself and grow in these instruments. It's definitely one of my goals.