Monday, May 17, 2010

Philosophy of a Monday morning

This poem has been taken down for submission to a publication. Apologies for the inconvenience.




There, is that depressing enough for a Monday? I’m actually in a pretty good mood today; this poem is just kind of a manifestation of the more cynical thoughts that have been kicking around my brain lately. At least it was longer than two stanzas!




Russian [leaders] nesting dolls



        Our society tends to define people by their job title, which leads me to ask: if you could choose one aspect of your efforts or being to define you to others or within society, what would it be?

4 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Well damn, that's almost as cynical as I am. :) If I'm describing myself to others, I would say I'm a nerd. A big, giant nerd who likes nerdy things like video games, and is even trying to make his own. How nerdy is that? :P

Katie said...

Never ever my job. It's not that I'm ashamed of my work or don't enjoy it, but it's not who I am. Is it sad that I would most like to be judged on my style? When I'm wearing a classic Katie outfit I feel good and want people to notice.

That and always the people I keep around me. But I think that's a fair way to judge everyone; the people you keep around say a lot about you.

I really like this poem though. I am really feeling that worry of working toward working more. Making money so I can buy a house so I can worry about having to purchase more things to fill it and have babies and spend money on them. Bleh.

Mike Kraus said...

That about sums it up...

Love the layout.

mikekraus.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Hmmm this is a tuffy. I wouldn't mind being defined by my job as long as it was something creative or worth while. I obviously don't want to be known as "Mary Thomas: Hbc Gift Card Coordinator", haha. Hey maybe one day we'll finally band together and start the cartoon we've always wanted to. Then we can have our own South Park and that can be our legacy. But yeah, since the chances are slim that I'll be remembered for my job, I guess I'd just have to say my personality and the way I treat others. I think I'm a pretty nice person, and I do care very deeply about people. I know very well that when people get to know me my positive and generous personality is one of the things that sticks, and that ain't so bad :)