Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mother

This poem has been taken down for submission to a publication. Apologies for the inconvenience.




NO, I am not pregnant, nor do I intend to be for many years. It's just that Mother's Day just passed and I've been thinking about mothers lately.




Charity by William-Adolphe Bouguereau



        Okay, I said motherhood doesn't worry me, but what I really mean is it doesn't worry me any more than it should. What aspect of parenthood worries you? Do you think you will/would/do make a good parent?

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I think I'm more worried about the impact children will have on me than the other way around. :P By that, I mean lifestyle changes mostly. I'm not too concerned about actually raising them right.

Katie said...

I think that I'm going to make an excellent mother some day. That part doesn't worry me too much either. I'm with Andrew, what worries me more is the affect children are going to have on me. And not even in the idea that they're time consuming. It's more the sacrafice of my body that I'm distressed about!

Mary said...

I don't know.. Parenthood kinda freaks me out a bit. Like my parents did a really really good job with all three of us, and my mom LOVES babies. I like them too I just prefer to be able to give them back. I don't know, I think I'd be good at it... Everyone has those ideas of "if I had a kid I'd raise them this way, I'd do this, wouldn't do that, etc." Personally I probably won't be having kids for the reasons that with my kidney thing it's dangerous, and who knows what complications I might have in the future, plus they're super duper expensive, the world is GROSSLY over populated by humans, etc. I don't think having kids is for everyone... people need to think hard about whether it's right for them and not just become parents because "it's expected of them" by society. That's a terrible reason to have kids. Have them because you want them. (I'm obviously not talking about any of you guys... But I think you know the type of people I'm talking about).