Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lunch hour hangouts


  1. The Royal York

    I’m forever seduced by the romance
    of empty wooden desks in this lobby
    old and glamorous as a diamond.

    Someday I will sit here and write
    lines of trash in laborious penmanship.
    Alas, my muse is a rawboned rover
    who cannot bear the weight
    of ambiance; I'm doomed
    to scrap paper scribbles on
    crowded subway seats.


  2. St. Andrew’s Church

    Reverent silence, broken
    by the stray coughs of mortals
    and the surreptitious turning
    of comic book pages.

    In Toronto, religion
    is handed out on street corners;
    you need to know where to look
    for good Romanesque Revivals
    and quiet reading rooms.


  3. Urban Affairs Library

    Reference only. I keep coming back
    like a foolish girl waiting for love
    from a one hundred night stand.

    You're everything I ever wanted, but
    you'll never come home with me
    to meet my parents.









        Where do you go or what do you do on your lunch hour?

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Hahaha, I love the library one. My favourite lunch hangout is right in front of my computer screen. :)

Mary said...

If I have enough time I usually try to get my butt to the gym. Sometimes I'll just go for a walk if it's a nice sunny day. The odd time I'll join the older gang in the lunchroom to chit chat about life and recipes. And sometimes I just sit at my desk and work through lunch so that when I take an extra 20 minutes on my gym days, I don't feel so guilty about it. ;)