Thursday, May 6, 2010

Kensington Market, after hours

On a rainy Wednesday evening, the only patrons
are drunks and locals; we are
the former.

The shops are bicycles chained to iron railings,
burnt-out carousal lights, closed eyes
on a tattooed face.

Rain bathes the streets, but it can’t wash away
history, fish shop stink, curious
graffiti murals.




Kensington Market, 1922 - Photo by John Boyd



        How would you describe the character of your own neighbourhood? What qualities do you like in a neighbourhood (to live in)?

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I like our neighbourhood. Maybe that's because there's a few parks nearby and there's lots of trees. You go a little bit east to VP and it's concrete tower apartment buildings and a huge shopping plaza. I think we're in a good spot.

Gerry Boyd said...

Nice verse there, very nice.

Mary said...

Oooooooo, I really like this poem!

Anyway the Ben Jungle is pretty nice, other than the fact that if you don't live there you have NO idea how to navigate it... with every street name starting with "Ben" and all. But yeah, schools very close by, cozy houses with large yards, tons of park area to take the dog for a walk and to play when you're a kid. I always liked the fact that I lived super close to the hospital and pretty close to Scarborough Town Centre too. It's a pretty good spot :)

Now that I'm older and a swinging 20-something trying to branch out on my own I realize downtown-ish is where it's at. I do want to be close to the subway, very downtown accessible. And yes parks and greenery would be lovely as well.

Also, having cool people around is fun. It'd be great to make friends with neighbours. Not only to party but to have people who know you and will keep an eye on anything weird if you're out.