Tuesday, May 4, 2010

introverts

in kindergarten, you
would hide beneath your desk
nuclear fallout style
to let your brain cool down
prevent overload
your teacher said, “don’t worry,
he’ll grow out of it”
now you hide in familiar
spaces, insulate yourself
within a cast of friends
like curled fingers

you keep a bicycle pump
folded up in your wallet
to re-inflate my ego,
pull over at the side of the road
emergency repair job
I speak for you in public,
give your lunch order
to over-friendly waitresses,
your personal liaison

though even I
go all deer-in-the-headlights
when the telephone
becomes an endlessly crying baby,
when my e-mail inbox fills
like a sinking ship






        Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert? Here's a good way to tell: do you "recharge" yourself by seeking the company of friends or by seeking time alone? Despite popular belief, shyness and introversion are two completely different things.

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Oh ma gawd, I am such an introvert. :P

Mary said...

Ugh, hard question... Sometimes when there's people in my house I'm dying for them to leave so I can be alone. Everyone requires their alone time. However I love to be in a group environment too, going out for friendly dinners, etc. When Johnny and I are out, he usually makes me do the talking (like asking for things) because "people generally like me better" he says. Although I would consider myself shy at times there are other times where I'm so completely not shy that I don't even know how to categorize myself anymore.

I guess I'm a bit of both. I do have my introvert moments. Sometimes I'll want to go for a walk to get lunch here in Brampton, and I'm actually miffed when people want to come with me because I was looking forward to a nice walk in the sunshine alone. Other times I'd really enjoy the company. I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in. Maybe I'll categorize myself as a popular loner.