Friday, May 7, 2010

General anxiety vs. The flying trapezes

Spotlight, hot as panic.
Ground, unyielding as death.
Crowd, captious as God.

My fear is disguised with smiles and sequins,
limbs moving in muscle memory, powdered hands
dry as my lips.

On the platform, I grasp the bar
firmly as a choice; it is always a choice
between brief terror and relentless worry,
truth or dare, goldfish bowl
or shark-infested freedom.
Safety is a net that catches you
and never lets go.

I step off the platform,
acknowledge the distinction
between life and non-death,
make my choice.


This poem was written in response to MONDAY PROMPT/ May 3 on Big Tent Poetry.




Circus poster, 1890.



        Do you think it's important to face your fears, or is it okay to live with certain fears as long as they don't disrupt your life? Have you done anything recently that scared you?

7 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I think it's generally okay if it's not impacting your life. But I think your fear of centipedes might be impacting your life. :)

Linda Jacobs said...

I felt like I was standing there ready to catch the swing! Great job!

flaubert said...

Quite visual and it puts you in the moment.
Pamela

Cynthia Short said...

This short piece was able to convey so many feelings, I love when poetry can do that!

caroleesherwood said...

the adjectives in the first stanza work so well: hot, unyielding and captious!

Tumblewords: said...

You've written the fright that keeps my feet on the ground! Wonderful imagery with perfect choice of words.

Deb said...

I love the set-up, too. That first stanza really sizzles.

Thanks for joining the circus!!!