Friday, April 16, 2010

Walking to school in the rain

Morning dew is reborn as a heavy fog,
coating my lungs, forcing its scent upon me: marshy
musk of waterlogged soil like an old kitchen sponge
and bloated, doggy stink of a thousand earthworms
drowning; acrid puddles, sopped up with stained sneakers.

After the clouds dissolve like bickering, the worms
will rot on the playground pavement
in dry black coils.


This poem was written in response to NaPoWriMo Poetry Prompt #16: what's that smell? on Read Write Poem.




Photo by Bah Humbug



        What does the smell of rain remind you of?

8 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Walking to school in the rain when I was a kid and the field we play in at recess smells like mud and earthworms. Yuck. :P

poemblaze said...

The scent of rain reminds me of farm fields and of summer days cooling off--for a while.

Very vivid poem!

jimmmaaa said...

I like the image of the earth worms on the playground....

I love the smell of rain after it has been warm out, steam on the pave.

Great poem!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

evocative combination of words that took me right back to MY walks to and from school in the rain.

I used to be fascinated by the snails....

THANK YOU for writing to my prompt today!

Mary said...

Hmmm the smell of the rain doesn't really remind me of anything... All I know is there are different smells of rain. There's the one when it just starts to rain, sometimes it'll smell like gross asphault. I can't really describe it. Then after the rain it can be a nice, damp, cleansed smell..... OR it can be a disgusting "all the earth worms are on the driveway" kinda smell. Yuck... that's when I wish there were a bunch of hungry robins around.

Ron. said...

The smell of rain reminds me of the smell of snow, but warmer.

Love your coiled earthworms.

J. D. Mackenzie said...

Clouds dissolve like bickering, this is a great turn o' the phrase. Well done.

Katie said...

Worms. I hate the smell of worms and wet cement. It makes me think of being a child and the pure horror of seeing all those little smooshed worm bodies on the pavement; some of them still twitching.