Monday, April 12, 2010

Name

Your were a gift
from two of the rare people
who love me more than I love myself,
who taught me by example.
I thought you made me odd,
and later, special.

Like me, you are
soft-footed, unusual,
sometimes mispronounced.
Like my family, like my body,
I did not choose you
but I belong to you.


This poem was written in response to NaPoWriMo Poetry Prompt #11: The thing you didn't choose on Read Write Poem




Photo by Carlo Cabanilla



        How did you get your name? Do you think it suits you?

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Mine came from my grandfather on my dad's side, who died a few weeks before I was born, so I never got to meet him unfortunately. Seeing as all the Andrew's I know are nerds, I guess it worked out pretty well. Either that, or you really do become your name. :)

Mary said...

Yeah your name does make you odd and special... in a very good way :) Whenever I tell people about my cousin they always say "oh what a great name!"

Anyway, I was named after Grandpa's mom... Grandma claims it was because my mom has a thing for the "Virgin Mary", but I'm not one for religion, so I prefer the former haha.

Claudia said...

I was supposed to be a boy, so when I came out my mom wanted a girl's name that matched the Chinese name they'd picked out. And so she named me after a movie star she thought was really cool, Claudia Cardinale.

And yes, I do like my name and I do think it suits me :).