Thursday, April 15, 2010

Green was born of the grass

I water you, you bear me fruit
(lover, mender, season changer)
but green was born of the grass in Dublin
My heart recalls, you were never a stranger

You cheer for me upon my stage
(planner, dreamer, rearranger)
Green was born of the grass in Dublin
My heart recalls, you were never a stranger

Let’s not fret about the next part
We are always off to a good start

Sprout, but stay just as you are
(speaker, listener, thought exchanger)
Green was born of the grass in Dublin
My heart recalls, you were never a stranger


This poem was written in response to NaPoWriMo Poetry Prompt #15: carrying a tune on Read Write Poem. It uses lines from my earlier poem, April green grass.




St. Stephen's Green, Dublin
Photo by Höstblomma




        Part of the poetry prompt today involved reworking good lines from a poem that otherwise didn't quite work. In whatever form you choose to work or create in, how often do you go back and revise old work? What do you think is the attraction or benefit of revision?

6 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Definitely important. In fact, I'm doing that right now with this blasted project at work. :) You learn a lot from your mistakes, and it's really important to do so.

Mary said...

The grass is getting greener and greener every day! You gotta love spring.... everything dead is coming alive again. You know warmth is ahead :)

To answer your question, revisions are definitely beneficial if you didn't quite hit the mark the first time.... but in my life I don't really have any work to go back and revise. Photographs are tweakable using Photoshop, so yeah if I was trying to create an effect that I hadn't learned and did crappily, then it'd be beneficial to go back and do it properly once I have the proper tools to do so.

Robin said...

Very nicely done! Having been to Ireland, I couldn't agree with your refrain more.

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done Shayla...as the grass is turning green here in the mountains

shannon teresa said...

This reminds me of that movie p.s. I love you!

Katie said...

I really like this poem. It makes me think of fresh young love, before the complications of a relationship. Probably what you were going for.

Often, I feel reluctant to go back to old pieces of work. Either too embarrassed to experience things that weren't very good, or too nervous that they won't be fixable.