Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Give us this day our daily poem

Your well-intentioned friends keep trying
to frame me as your great ambition, career choice,
and sometimes you let them; otherwise,
you might find yourself trapped in the elevator
making small talk with your receptionist label.
We both know it’s a lie though.

I’m the cup of green tea you’ve made a habit
of drinking three times a day, or
the way you need to at least skim the news
before you feel you can do anything productive.
I’m the hour of reading you squeeze in
on the commute, a thoughtless duty
that makes the day whole.

I’m your 10 minute, 10 a.m. diary entry
scribbled on scrap paper, just a quick shake
of your words so they don’t gather dust,
just a quick scan of your inner dialogue
for signs of unrest, treason.




Composition by Pierre Dmitrienko



        What is one of your daily rituals?

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I read your poems every day. :) Well okay, that's cheating. I debate video game things on Internet forums. :P Actually, I'm somewhat envious that you have a daily ritual that actually works towards one of your ultimate life goals. I should probably have something like that. :P

Mary said...

Yeah when you work a 9-5 it's really very hard not to fall into a routine. Some people like routines, others get terribly bored of it. I think I'm in between... I like it, but I like to spice it up as well so life's not so damn boring and predictable.

What I really really really need to do is make exercise my routine. I do still go as much as I can, but I need to have a set schedule that I heed to so that I make sure to get it all in.

Mary said...

Sorry... to answer the question: When I get to work I make a green tea, fill my water glass and then check all my daily websites/online news. :)