Monday, April 5, 2010

Bring a book, save a friendship

On the driveway, legs wobbly
from standing too long, waiting
for my brother-in-law to take a breath
so I can steer this conversation
in the general direction of a goodbye,
I wonder what quirky quality in myself
must drive the people in my life
absolutely bat shit crazy.

Because it’s always something.
I’ve come to recognize and anticipate
that stage in a new friendship
when you first realize that this person
is, in fact, a fallible human being;
you find yourself sitting alone (yet again)
in a crowded restaurant, the waiter
drumming his fingers as the clock
ticks steadily past your seven-thirty
reservation, and it suddenly hits you
– this new friend is one of those people,
those always late people. We all have
those friends, and most of us learn
to bring a book.

It’s my own fault; I forgot my book
at home today, and now I am resigned
to wait for my brother-in-law to stop
talking, but – what lung capacity! –
the man never takes a breath.


Check out my new LAID post, Technological Developments in Sex.







        What "quirky quality" of yours do you think is the one that drives your friends crazy sometimes?

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Hahaha, sorry about that. It's not just him, it's our whole family. It's worse when we're together, because we're all enablers for each other. :)

Shannon Teresa Boodram said...

I pick at myself almost every 10 seconds. Nails, skin, hair, teeth