Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Andrew buys new shoes

a whole store full of new shoe smell, fresh grey
mesh and plastic hideousness to replace torn old
athletic running shoes under your desk, Grade 2 fashion
nonsense, you dress like Forest Grump but never run
and I’m still proud to hold your hand on the escalator


This was my stab at writing a tanka, written in response to NaPoWriMo Poetry Prompt #7: love, funny side up on Read Write Poem. Gotta love daily poetry prompts for the month of April.




Never thought I'd have an opportunity to post this video.



        To what degree should you try to change someone in a relationship and to what degree should you accept them as they are?

4 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Hahahaha, I'm awesome. You love my shoes. :)

Wayne Pitchko said...

good one....thanks for this

flaubert said...

Funny and sweet!
Pamela

Mary said...

Hahaha "shoes. oh my god, shoes. these shoes rule... these shoes suck!..." so silly.

Anyway yeah I'm not a huge fan of changing people... because if they're going to change they'll only do it on their own. When I met johnny he looked like a big grungy bum... straight out of the 90's grunge scene. I was fine with it and didn't ever nag him to change. Then one day he decided to shave his hair off, and he started buying jeans and shirts that weren't completely ripped up and disgusting. I didn't push him to do this, he just did it on his own...

Never try to change people... cuz they'll just take it as nagging and will resent you. If people need to change, they'll figure it out on their own.