Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Two old friends meet for dinner

downtown, far from their childhood.
Each lives a sitcom the other stopped watching
after the second season but can still follow
in sporadic episodes: the same familiar characters
all up to the same crazy antics.

They don’t attempt reentry; they can’t blend
colours long dried. This friendship is already
a finished painting, so they gather up
their dusty sketches and move
to a new medium.




Photo by Grigor Apinian



        Who is your oldest friend you still keep in touch with (who isn't related to you)?

5 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I'd like to say "The Guys", but I don't even keep up with them much since I started working full time and moved out. :P Although, they started up a Ventrilo server that Jon and Viet paid for so we'd have a place to hang out and chat with our busy schedules. I'm going to try to get on that. :)

dogimo said...

Love the dried colors.

You have a nice, light touch with metaphor - the point you're making always comes first.

Mary said...

Awwwwhhhhhh I love this poem! I like the sitcom reference. Very true. Hmmmm well I mean I've known Alexis since kindergarten. We weren't super tight til grade 4, but we talk almost every day. Tommy's probably my oldest friend, we don't see each other or talk too often, but we still try and make it to each others parties, and when we reunite it's always party time. My old school friend Ashley is the same... I could go without seeing her for years, then we have lunch and it's like we'd never been apart. I love when that happens :)

Mary said...

Oh and I just twittered your site. Yes I know I'm a big big loser for having twitter, but let's see if your web hits go up at all today :) I really like this poem, I want others to see it!

Samantha said...

Awwww... I'm blushing. I really am.

I think it's always amazing to have a childhood friend who even if you don't see them for months or years on end, reconnect with and everything still feels as perfect as it was a long time ago.

Also, your my oldest friend, but you already know that. Thanks again for amazing conversation and the usual beauty and strength. I always feel so calm and relaxed after I've had dinner with you. :)