Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lights out in car three

The elevator is grey and dim
like the first steps inside a cave, taken
before fear swallows up curiosity.
As the doors press shut behind me,
I realize I’ve gone too many steps in.
Quickly! I wrap my hands around
the throat of my imagination and squeeze
before it starts to hear the dripping
of murky water from stalactites, or
sense some movement in the faint
red light of declining numbers, or
smell the dank, musky reek of some
ancient beast, watching me.

When the doors release me, years later,
I step thoughtlessly back into the light,
like eyes reopening from a blink.




Photo by Rama



        When was the last time you did something for the first time, even something as small as riding in an elevator with no lights?

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I took the Carlton streetcar to Queen's Park station and the University subway to work when the Bloor line was fubarred. :) I've never done that before. It was too crowded on the subway, but the streetcar was nice.

shannon teresa said...

why would u do that???????? so scary

Mary said...

Oh man I love the poem... but it sounds really freaky. I hate the dark!!

I'm going to have to think about this question... Nothing really pops into mind. I guess I was really nervous when Johnny and I went on our first trip together to Jamaica. It was my first time going anywhere without my parents running the show. I was afraid I wouldn't know where to go at the airport (both at Pearson and MoBay) and we were going to Reggae Sumfest so I was freaked I wouldn't know how to make it to the venue... But when it all happened it was quite easy and I realized I was just being a big baby.