Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Varadero

Sighing over sweet, ancient memories,
the ocean combs out her wavy locks, carelessly
spilling them across the flaxen sand.
The untroubled sky writes her love-notes
on the feathers of seabirds, and she gives no reply
except a faint, shy caress at the horizon.

Even I of the most loquacious mind
sit watching in permeating silence;
there is a kind of clarity here
such as I have never found.







        My mom says she always pictures herself by the ocean when she's meditating, and I never fully understood why until my trip to Cuba. What image(s) tends to pop up when you're trying to calm or quiet your mind?

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Music, rock god fantasies...the usual. :) That's probably why I love Rock Band so much...

Mary said...

Oh man I haven't been on here in so long it seems... There is much to catch up on!

Great poem! Isn't the ocean totally awesome? I could sit and watch for hours if my ass didn't start to go numb on the beach chairs. I think it has to do with the constant waves crashing on the shore, and how when you look out all you see is this vast, gorgeous, never-ending body of water. The enormity if it really trips me out sometimes.

Anyway, funny enough when I'm trying to calm down or get thoughts out of my head usually I will think of a blank white page or room... if something pops in, I immediately remove it. Tricky at first but it actually works after awhile. I don't do this too often, but in yoga when they tell you to ditch every thought in your mind and just think of absolutely nothing, that's what I did.

claudia said...

1. Being on the water. I find paddling the most relaxing.

2. Mountains

3. A COMBO!!! the best.