Tuesday, February 23, 2010

smile list

when you and I were sixteen
and our parents felt like our children
or our boyfriends wanted to be our boy friends
we wrote silly lists that made us smile:

        crackling ice cubes
        unfortunate last names
        hand-me-downs
        hearing a song you love but forgot about
        anything colour-coded
        running for the bus and just making it
        snowflakes caught in eyelashes
        holding hands
        small dogs on staircases
        Simon & Garfunkel
        the word “chesterfield”
        flared nostrils
        waking up with perfect hair
        waking up with ridiculously bad hair
        finger-painting
        messages fingered in mirror steam
        profound graffiti
        talkative strangers
        old friends




Photo by Nevit



        What's on your smile list?

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I love crackling ice cubes. :) I also love replaying old games I haven't played in a long time and forgot most of the secrets.

claudia said...

friends who write lovely poems on just the day when I feel like I need to read something lovely.