Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Pop quiz

  1. The tide goes out
    as it does, from time to time.
    I thought I was past the point of doubting
    its return, fidgeting as I wait,
    prodding anxiously at the beached sea-drift
    and rehearsing despair.

    I seek comfort in both reason and faith: pattern observation
    and prayers to make-believe ocean gods.


  2. You can’t cage a man in a golden band
    or a signature in ink or a spoken promise before God;
    you can’t make a gift of a clear sky.

    Love is just one brand of glue.
    Routine, inertia, practicality:
    the names of monsters in my closet.


  3. This is pointless musing. This is internal,
    a constellation in the winter sky that represents
    boredom and hormones. This is too familiar.
    I am the one picking at this scab
    and making it bleed.

    I’ve learned this lesson before. I remember the theory
    but not the application.









        Can you think of a life lesson you've learned in theory but have trouble applying to your actual life?

1 comment:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Huh. Well that's a pretty abstract one. :) You know what I learned in theory that I never put into practice? How to accomplish those goals you set for yourself, but never end up doing. :P Like, say, making a game. Seriously, I had a really great lecture on the subject during that intro to business course I took in second year as an easy elective. I took it just because it was an easy credit, but I actually ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, and the prof was excellent.