Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Necropolis

This poem has been taken down for submission to a publication. Apologies for the inconvenience.




This poem was inspired by something I realized today: Necropolis literally means "city of the dead" in Greek. How cool is that?


EDIT: I just learned that Lucille Clifton, one of my favourite poets, died today. I'd like to dedicate today's poem to her. You can read more about her life and work in her obituary in the New York Times.





Photo by T.J. Blackwell



        What is your relationship with cemeteries? Do you see them as being solemn places to visit lost loved ones, haunted places favourable for telling scary stories, tragically romantic places to wander, curious human constructions to be examined, or something else?

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I never got into cemeteries myself. I mean, I understand the reason people like going there, but I always saw it as basically pointless. If you want to talk to your dead loved ones, I doubt they're hanging around the specific spot you decided to stick their body in the ground. If anything, it would be the spot that they died. :P

Mary said...

First off, great poem! Love it :)

I personally am creeped out by cemeteries. There's something freaky about walking on the land where a whole whack of dead people are buried, surrounded by a sea of tombstones which are all so sad, grey and cold. It's not a very fun place to be. Now... if the tombstones were fun colours or objects that's might spice up the mood a little. Maybe we can get into the tombstone designing business and make a fortune. We'll make super fun tombstones to brighten up cemeteries.

Shannon Teresa said...

I used to always hold my breath when I went by them but I outgrew that and now only do it sometimes.

At first I thought your poem was about how shitty social life in the winter is. how alone we can feel because nobody wants to leave their house but I think I was wrong lol

p.s. I had Crystal send me your short story and I LOVED it. I left a comment about it on your facebook but it was around your bday so it probably got lost in the sea of well wishes