Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dear Yesterday Girl

How can you expect so much of me when you know we’re the same person with the same fickleness? With the same weakness for passive amusement and mindless games and just sitting very still. We’re the fool child who wastes his allowance on candy and never has anything to show for it but fat and cavities. Don’t you realize I have no more motivation than you, just nearer deadlines?

You ask a lot, and I’m really trying. I want it all as much as you do – the finished projects, constructive lifestyle, cultivated relationships – and I know I’m the one who has to make it happen, but it just doesn’t get any easier. We both keep thinking it will, but it just doesn’t.

Thanks for cleaning the cat box and taking the chicken out of the freezer. Thanks for doing the dishes and making the bed and flossing our teeth. Thanks for the sleep deprivation too, asshole.

Love,
Tomorrow Girl




Idleness by John William Godward



        What would you say in a letter to Yesterday You? To Tomorrow You?

5 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Hey Past Guy, you know that game you were going to make? Yeah, by this time, Heavy Rain has come out and you're too busy playing that. Next thing you know, you'll be busy playing Mega Man 10 and God of War 3 to write your own game. Oh, and don't forget about your trivia score in 1 vs 100. Good luck, sucker.

Love Future Guy :)

SOL said...

I really liked this. I thought the voice was strong. I also liked the idea of the future self writing to the past self.

dogimo said...

I would challenge both to fight it out while I judge.

Love the poem, love the picture too! Like a Maxfield Parrish with blood in the veins.

dogimo said...

I would challenge both to fight it out while I judge.

Love the poem, love the picture too! Like a Maxfield Parrish with blood in the veins.

dogimo said...

aghhh

double post

OK, to make up for it, I'll give a more serious answer to the question. Past me, I would tell him to give up for good on the first breakup, on one particular relationship. Future me...I think I'd be asking, not telling.