Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back to basics

An author in esteem only, I return to writing fiction,
though my literary tendons have atrophied, decayed,
after all these comatose years. They will not trust me,
preferring to sleep folded in the footlocker at the edge of my bed,
(muttering pretty snips of sentences while they dream)
but still they are glad to be out, tumbling words
across my page in a red patter; my house is littered
with fledglings and ancient eggshells.

Under the clarity of instinct, they have taken
a hacksaw to industrious panic, to the lubricious want of status,
and in doing so claimed a second childhood; they are clowns,
grinning from within the jaws of a toothless lion.


This poem was written in response to Poetry Prompty #114 on Read Write Poem.




Gibson & Co, 1873



        When it comes to creating any form of art, what do you think is the best balance between the motor of ambition and the inspiration that comes from aimless play? In other words, how much should an artist be goal-oriented and how much should s/he practice open-ended experimentation?

8 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I think there needs to be a balance, but more importantly, you need to work up to the ambitious part. You can't just sit down and start working on a big idea, at least not in my area of creation. :) You need to build on small creations first and work your way up.

SOL said...

I see them as completely separate processes and you definitely need to balance the time you dedicate to each.

briarcat said...

"my house is littered with fledglings and ancient eggshells" rings my familiarity bell. I like the writings as clowns
And the illustration is just right.

mariegauthier said...

I like this, a fresh direction!

Balance is key. It can help get a poem going to have a direction, but I find it important to let the poem take the lead--if you force it, the poem fails.

Which this one does not. :o)

flaubert said...

they are clowns,grinning from within the jaws of a toothless lion. That is some scary imagery there. Throughly enjoyed this.

Pamela

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Great poem.

Tumblewords: said...

A delightful read!

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done from downtown TO