Friday, January 15, 2010

Work v. Life

It’s not stimulating work, but it’s centering in a way;
it’s refreshing to focus. Typing names and contact numbers
like fingering rosary beads, repeating the company name
into the phone over and over like a mantra.

Work isn’t work; it’s a relationship: a friendship
or a marriage or a rivalry, and I can’t ever seem to get
past casual dating. Do I have commitment issues
or have I just never found something I could connect with
enough to devote more of myself than the “meager”
nine-to-five? Like any relationship, you get back
what you put in, and thus it seems impossible to find
work strong enough to wield my full weight
without forcing me to sign away my soul.

This job is the stool in the corner where society makes sit
all dissenters who won’t take their work as their life,
who won’t bare more than one marriage, to be punished
with minimum wage, or cheap job title, or just boredom.

This job is not me, except the white of my thumb nail,
except the scraps I can spare, but it’s not unpleasant.
This blind date is never going to stand at the altar with me,
but he laughs at my jokes and buys me a hot meal
and there are worse ways to spend an evening.






        What's your relationship with your job: a close or casual friendship, a happy or unhappy marriage, a stimulating or frustrating rivalry, a passionate or tragic love affair, or something else?

4 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I'm definitely in the marriage stage, but like any marriage, there are arguments and frustrations along with the good stuff. :)

Claudia said...

I struggle with this relationship daily and think about it often, and yet I am still not sure what it is that we have exactly.

I am not sure if I am willing to commit, and neither am I sure that I belong there.

How sure can you ever be? Is it one of those things where you just know? How do you know when you know? And do you have to commit for life? Why can't you have many jobs throughout your life?

I don't know.

Katie said...

I totally agree with you that work is sort of like a relationship. It requires a certain amount of commitment, and a large amount of time.

Work at Shoeless was definately one of those long term relationship that everyone knows is doomed. All I did was complain about that place, but it was comfortable. And like any good break up, I want to avoid them. I made Troy pick up my last pay cheque and I almost hide when I'm in that plaza.

But I like your poem!!

dogimo said...

I love my job.

In the worst times, it was terrible and grinding me to pieces and working 78 hour weeks. I stuck with it because I was pretty sure I could see how to make it through to where it would be the best job I ever had.

Well, I'm almost there anyhow!