Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The storm passed too quickly to drench me, I complain

Wiping the froth of fear from my mouth’s corners,
I recognized my idleness and sundered from it,
retrieving my old journal to draw the brunt
of my dull terrors into simple words.

But I waited too long; having long shouldered
the pecking burden, like some cerebral Hercules,
I found I had forgotten all my fertile questions
and had only answers left.


This poem was written in response to Poetry Prompt #109 on Read Write Poem.




Hercules and the Hydra



        Have you ever kept a journal? How did you use it (ie. to record the activites of your day, to vent when you needed to, to pour out volatile emotions)?

9 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I kept one once for dreams, when I was trying to learn how to lucid dream. I didn't get very far, though. :P

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to read the intact story.

davidmoolten said...

I like the irony of losing the questions and having only answers; the poem does a good job of expressing the idea that the learning is more in the living and then the asking, than in the post-mortem afterwards.

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done..for sure what I am reading influences my writing.....thanks for sharing this from TO

Derrick said...

I could understand feeling resentful at having, yet again, resolved all the problems with but with no sense of satisfaction!

Tumblewords: said...

I'm glad the fertile questions are gone and only the answers are left. A delightful read!

Katie said...

I totally just used mine to vent. I'm sure if you read them now you wouldnt even know what I was talking about; seeing as though I didn't date it and rarely even used names.

PS - this poem was posted at 11:11! It's lucky so maybe you should send this one it!

Deb said...

What a surprising idea: lost thoughts paired with all those words. The wry conclusion is a wonderful surprise!

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

Very true. I've lost the original thoughts sometimes behind the words as well. Even the original emotion. I find that very annoying and could connect with what you were saying. Thank you for sharing.

-Nicole