Tuesday, January 26, 2010

On the Way to the Store

(Tribute to Billy Collins)
By guest poet Jerry White of The Passenger's View

As I made my way down the country road
in the wooded outskirts of my neighborhood,
I switched on my poetic radar

with hopes of capturing a moment of truth.
There wasn’t much to see that cloudy morning,
just the portentous overtones of rainy weather,

murky drops landing upon my windshield,
at once fulfilling the forecaster’s prophecy
while liquefying the white-purplish splotches

sprinkled about the car’s neglected exterior.
The other drivers going the opposite way
moved steadily towards their daily callings,

unmoved by the towering pines that swayed
an inch in the wind, half-excited for drink,
half in protest of Thor’s Mjöllnir.

And to be absolutely honest with you,
I should have been inspired by thirsty trees
and hovering mother ship storm clouds

with their synchronized photograph flashes,
sending messages from heaven and beyond.
But for now, I will have to be content with

this small goat farm at the four-way stop,
with a black and white border collie
on duty, running, tail-chasing.


Thanks to Jerry White, a fellow participant at Read Write Poem. Please welcome him to Adelaide West by leaving him a comment, and check out more of his work on his blog: The Passenger's View.






        What is the most memorable experience you have had with rain or stormy weather? Whether pleasant, terrifying or depressing, tell your tale.

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

It's definitely got to be in a car, probably driving home from my parents house about 5 months ago with Shayla. It was freaking torrential; I think there was a hurricane it was the tail end of or something. It's good you can look at the poetic nature of such images Jerry, because I sure wasn't thinking of that while driving. :)

Jerry said...

I'm honored to be on Shayla's blog today. Very thoughtful of her!

Flek, I know how you must have felt during that storm. Our home sustained about 60% structure damage during Hurricane Ike in 2008, and we were up in the wee hours of the morning dumping buckets of water back into the wind. Thank God for insurance!

Adelaide said...

I know what you mean in this poem when you say you "should" have been inspired by something. I write everyday and am always looking for new inspiration, but sometimes something really unusual will happen in my life and it will seem totally obvious that I "should" write a poem about it... but I just don't feel anything and nothing will come. Maybe we get intimidated by writing about really big or obvious things, or maybe we just have an attraction to the more subtle things.