Thursday, January 14, 2010

Makeshift hibernation

Having a student loan, a mortgage, a cell phone,
I can’t afford to cocoon myself in flannel sheets
and unconsciousness for six months, so I nest
in a swivel chair under dim pot lights and tend to
the hungry chirping of a glossy black phone
eight stories up a concrete tree; or I burrow
through tangled, tiled tunnels that smell of coffee
and expensive cologne, poking my head out
on unsuspecting streets where the buildings grow
so tall they keep the city in shade.




Photo by Thermos



        Which animal shares your philosophy about winter? Are you a south-bound bird, a hibernating squirrel or a cold-weather-loving wolf?

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Definitely a hibernator. You know me, I hate going outsi...SQUIRREL! :)

Shannon Teresa Boodram said...

A bear. Even though this poem is short I got lost in it. well done