Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Letter of resignation

There has been no reprimand, only the aim
to prosper. Maybe I’m growing older;
I can curl within the obstinate black lines
of jargon text and find some merit now
-- if I use the knuckles of my brain, impinge
upon my love of simplicity’s clean lines,
hector my way down to the fundamental core
and find commonality. I want to accept that
the only real duress is the grip of my skull.
I want to codify all these tiny moments
into a life fulfilled.

This poem was written in response to Poetry Prompt #108 on Read Write Poem.




Photo by Travis S.



        I think starting a new job is kind of like meeting a new person: if you want to get along, you need to find some common ground. What aspects of your job mesh best with your personality traits?

10 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I'm an introverted nerd. I get to write code all day and not deal with people outside a small group in the office, and certainly no actual clients. :)

dogimo said...

I don't know about the question, but Adelaide how funny it would be if you submitted a letter of resignation in the form of a poem like that? That would put you in a CLASS BEYOND COOL.

Tumblewords: said...

I love this! Wish I had something to 'quit from'. The knuckles of my brain was a particularly fascinating phrase.

James said...

The first sentence nicely sums up one of the best and most often misunderstood reasons to resign. Like Tumblewords, I was particularly struck by "the knuckles of my brain" (no pun intended).

djvorreyer said...

I also liked the "knuckles of my brain." Brilliant line.

Deb said...

Love the last two lines. Terrific ending to the poem, great advice in any circumstance.

briarcat said...

I like the obstinate black lines of jargon text.
It's ample reason for resignation.

Cynthia Short said...

I also loved "the knuckles of my brain". Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could "pop" them to loosen them up?

Wayne Pitchko said...

nice one Adelaide W..."knuckles of my brain"....sounds like Brian Burke's brain...(Leafs GM)...I worked on Spadina about 100 years ago....had to resign too...and ya a resignation POEM would be a good way to do it...take care in TO

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

I have to admit, the "knuckles of my brain" was also my favourite image. What a "resignation letter". I like this.

-Nicole