Thursday, December 17, 2009

Matt

The moon has moved again. My letters to him
come back stamped "Return to sender." The stars
keep calling me up on the telephone to complain
how I neglect them, to describe drunken nights out,
who pierced what, budding careers, sunken cities.

Old meteors have tugged and pulled at me before,
threatened to hit, but eventually they will all sigh
in resignation and flash me their burning backs.
I'm safer here: abiding my home shell, body curled
around these precious trifles, watching my radar
for hints of criticism, knitting my words
into regrets.


This poem was written in response to Poetry Prompt #105 on Read Write Poem.




Photo of the Large Magellanic Cloud taken from the Hubble Space Telescope. Credit: European Space Agency



        When was the last time you had a real, genuine conversation with another person? I mean one where you moved passed small talk about the weather and work and felt an actual human connection?

9 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Interesting take on the prompt... Going with the space theme drenched in metaphor, more so than your usual poems. :)

Jerry said...

Very beautiful images, friend.

So, are you using the metaphor of astronomy as a reference to the success and experience of others, all the while waiting for your own moment of achievement?

I'm probably way off there, but it doesn't matter. This was still a success, and so is every moment that you bear your heart in such lovely language.

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

I like this. Oddly enough, when I read this, I think of an old friend by the same name who I would say "abiding my home shell" would aptly fit. I will the stars would call me up too, but they don't. They just sit there. And I write about them.

I enjoyed reading this.

-Nicole

Tumblewords: said...

Powerful piece with lines that reach deep into the unsuspected parts of self. Fine read!

Linda said...

The words are beautifully phrased in this poem Shayla.
They speak of fickle friendships, sad memories and some loneliness. It's written in the stars. I am having genuine conversations every time i am with friends these days. Thank you for sharing these expressive words.

davidmoolten said...

I like how the narrator and the unnamed person she speaks of participate in this only sparingly until the end. "The moon has moved again" is a great line, so straightforward and resonant and thus what follows is jarring in a good way, full of surprise, pushing the reader around, forces him/her to shift back and forth from the cosmos to the personal.

Paul Oakley said...

I love the complaining phone calls from the stars, "who pierced what..." And the meteoric metaphor is very nice, "flash me their burning backs."

Good work.

bearlyaudible said...

Kind of an old theme, almost... but at that slight hint, the poem departs, goes its own and novel way. I appreciated this interesting path the poem strides.
Thanks.

Wayne Pitchko said...

i like where you went with the prompt.....nicely done