Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dear Baby Not Yet Conceived,

        Just now I went to open a Notepad document to write this poem, and instead I opened the calculator program. That’s your fault, Baby.

        I’ve been reading about this neuroeducation institute, Baby, and I’d like to send you there someday when you exist, but the thing is it costs a lot of money. If it was just you it might be okay, but if you go then I’ll have to pay for all my Unconceived Babies to go, and that’s just overwhelming. I have a student loan and a mortgage, Baby.

        You’re probably going to be smart enough to do well in public school anyway. Your future father and I are both pretty smart. I promise to use the money I save by sending you to public school to stay home with you for the first four years so there’s no chance of any nanny or daycare person depriving you of necessary affection and causing you developmental issues that may ultimately result in your becoming a sociopath. I’ll even try to teach you to read before kindergarten.

        You know what, Baby? You ask a lot of me, even without the special school. I’m going to have to carry you around inside me for nine months, while you deplete my storage of vitamins and ruin my figure and potentially give me gestational diabetes mellitus. Then I have to give birth to you, and you’ll see for yourself what a mess that’s going to be.

        I want you to know I read a lot about parenting, Baby, and I don’t even plan for you to exist anytime in the next five years. Hopefully my informed parenting technique will make up for all the anxiety hormones that will inevitably course through my (and thus your) body during pregnancy. And for the fact that you’ll probably have to go to public school.

Love,
Your future mother




Photo by Carin Araujo.



        Ever had an imaginary conversation with/written a message to your unborn child (or at least thought about him/her)?

5 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Aaaaaaaaah not yet! The thought of having a baby overwhelms me right now. :P

Mary said...

Hahaha... Yeaaahhhh babies are too overwhelming. It's fun to think of what they might look like, or what talents they'd have though.

Majimo said...

I have on many occasions. Its was mainly to mentally be prepared for the overwhelm of parenting.

To be honest, you can never be ready but it will come when the baby pops out, that why its 9 months.

Speak positively about it and it will come to pass.

Katie said...

Oh I want a baby so bad some times. I just want to see how well I can raise it. And I think about being able to just hang out with my baby and do stuff. And she has a name ... and a gender (Elisa).

Katie said...

Oh I want a baby so bad some times. I just want to see how well I can raise it. And I think about being able to just hang out with my baby and do stuff. And she has a name ... and a gender (Elisa).