Friday, October 9, 2009

twenty-six

        there are more pictures of Andrew eating cupcakes
        than doing anything else
                (except maybe drinking)
for his birthday we pour Betty Crocker cake mix
into little ruffled paper cups
        Andrew holding the bowl
                while I scoop with a kitchen spoon
he'll never change        he's still six years old
        standing in his kitchen wearing
        nothing but underwear and a dopey grin
he doesn't give a damn about anything
        but sprinkles and butter icing


Happy birthday, Pickle! Don't eat too many cupcakes or you won't be able to drink tonight.

3 comments:

Mary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREWWWWW! I might see you tonight, I'll let you guys know :)

Michelle said...

What a sweet poem. My little guy turns six on Sunday, and I can't imagine him ever being any different from what he is right now. Happy birthday to YOUR "little" guy.

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Hahahaha, it's true. I love me some cupcakes. :)