Friday, October 2, 2009

the sex

sometimes it's rushed
balled up      squeezed to fit
                                                in the corner of a briefcase
sometimes it's an obligation
      (you're not supposed to say that)
a promise I made to myself
                    and to someone I love
that needs to be kept      a duty, like watering plants
sometimes my mind is just elsewhere
      should I pull chicken out tonight?
      I could make pasta but if I do that I need
      to buy peppers so I guess I'll just cook chicken
      remember to pull out the chicken

and I might as well be
                              a moving fist, a pixelated money shot
but
sometimes it's slow
purposely      drawn out long
                                                simple actions turned foreplay
sometimes it's a relief
      (to let your body take over)
a distraction from all the bullshit
                    that comprises my life
in that one overwhelming moment      I find silence
sometimes my mind becomes part of another person
      I can hear his face, the waves of his nerves
      speaking a language only my instincts know
      link established
      my body mirrors, reconstructs

and even when it's over
                              we remain connected.



This poem is in celebration of Shannon Boodram's groundbreaking book Laid: Young People's Experiences with Sex in an Easy-Access Culture, which is officially available in stores as of yesterday. You can pick up your copy at Barnes & Noble, Chapters/Indigo, Borders Bookstore, Amazon or at Shannon's book release party at the Revival (783 College Street West in Toronto) on October 14th. It's 19+ and doors are open 6-10 p.m. -- hope to see you there!

7 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Sex is the best thing ever, with taking a massive dump when you really have to go a close second. :)

Adelaide said...

Wow. I write a nice poem about having sex with you, and you compare having sex with me to pooping. Is it too late to get this marriage annulled?

Shannon Teresa said...

OMG! OMG! I don't know what's better coming to this blog and seeing this incredible poem dedicated to moi OR the new layout :D

I love it, it's so lovely - okay I'm reading this again and LOL ur hubby is right (though I'm tempted to reverse the order he chose)

Shannon Teresa said...

I posted this to the Laid blog how could I not. SUE ME! Actually don' sue just take it down if you'd rather... :D

Lea said...

It seems like all men think alike. The Boyfriend finds great pleasure in his bowel movements.

Anonymous said...

I know both of those feelings. The obligation part, because you want to keep him happy and are afraid the sex might die.
The second part makes me happy, because those encounters are so important some times. Some times they're so intense they bring you back to why you're with him.

Mary said...

Haha I recently told Johnny that if he wants quick morning sex to relieve his boner he can't just flip me on my side and stick it in... I said I needed a quick snuggle or something of the sort before hand and now it's like he's scared to do it in the morning. This is something we will have to fix shortly.