Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Secret garden


At age 12, I read The Secret Garden
and craved a hidden space of my own.
I spent the heat of that summer
combing pine needles in the forest,
scouting clearings of rock and marsh,
lusting after a corner, quiet
and undiscovered. A neighbour caught me
sneaking onto his property with heavy shovels
(suspicious playthings)
and sent me away.

At age 23, the city is my forest
and I'm still trying to carve my name
into one of its cement trees. I roam
grey office buildings, holding my breath
before I force the door to the rooftop, tense
while wondering if the fire alarm will scream, planning
quick exit strategies. I'm still chasing
dusty corners like forgotten secrets.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Yeah you've got guts... I panic at doors that say "Fire Exit Only". I've never liked getting in trouble, haha.

And yeah I don't know why the Godfrey's are such jackasses with their property. It's so pretty but no one can walk around in it without getting yelled at. I miss our forest travels... Trying to get down to the rock ridges of the lake without breaking our legs going down steep hills. And seeing a million daddy long legs...

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Yeah, that's why I always let you check out these places before I go there with you. :)

LadyFi said...

I hope you find a leafy secret garden somewhere!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I too love to find hidden places where they're not expected -- yes, Secret Garden kinds of spots.

The canal we take the boat down where we are here in Oregon is, at one point, only a few yards away from a main route to the Coast, but when you turn a corner, it seems as if you are hundreds of miles from civilization. I love that!