Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thompson Park

That winter in university
I sat listening to my professor
explain Hobbes's state of nature
the natural condition of mankind
how he described life within it
as "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish,
and short." Afterward, I cried
while in line to buy a sandwich
and feared I was going mad.

I craved sunlight that winter
and took long walks outdoors, my lashes
white, my footprints scarring new snow.
My thoughts ran cold and heavy
      if there is no God
      the purpose of life is
      to live, enjoy, experience
      but what if you lack
      the capacity?

except in Thompson Park, where it was quiet
where low willow branches were clouds
over the paved horizon. It was
the only place the sun would shine
that winter.

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I'm glad you're not crazy anymore. Well, not as crazy. ;) MWAH!

Kathy said...

oooo...i love the new layout!

Katie said...

I remember that winter, it was not good.
I'm going to go with Andrew on this one, I'm happy you're back to your normal level of sanity.