Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Voyeur


Hayley’s office is undoubtedly the best one,
having a clear vista of Adelaide West
and a computer that keeps its back to the door.
I recline on one of her leather client chairs,
hands in a cardboard box of papers past, my fingers
combing through the sheets like crime scene evidence
just so I can stay here and chat a while longer.

I never realized how telling old receipts can be,
how much you can gleam about a person
based on how much they’ll spend on
shoes, home accessories, dog walkers.
Quite by accident, I am glimpsing
the person in the cardboard box
with voyeuristic intimacy, like surveying
the childhood photos of strangers
on somebody’s fireplace mantle.

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Looking into other people's lives is indeed fascinating.

Shannon Teresa said...

LOVE THIS! Especially the part about a computer back being to the door - that kind of real estate is so key!