Friday, July 3, 2009

Panorama, Canada Day eve


Your ugly grey running shoes
clash against cream leather couches
on the fifty-first floor lounge
that serves us ten-dollar cocktails
and tiny gourmet pizzas.
The only thing it seems to go with is
my faded Toronto Public Library bag,
flung behind the long, sheer curtains.

We fuzz our brains with tequila shots
and even so we find some quiet space
within our mismatched party, who say they like
the LEDs that now coat the CN Tower. We can see it
pulsing, transitioning colours to the south,
and you brashly declare:
         “No, whoever thought that was a good idea
           is a fucking idiot.”

I can’t but laugh. Even in a group,
one look or smile is the key
to our own private VIP room.


I have now written 200 poems since the creation of this blog. How crazy is that??

6 comments:

Shannon Teresa said...

Shayla 200 poems is CRAZY!

But damn this is the first time I've disagreed - I freakin LOVE the CN Tower lights! I think it's the BEST idea ever. First of all I'm obsessed with the CN Tower as is but the added awe of swirling lights is almost to much for my senses to handle. I literally seizure everytime I see it

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Hahaha, yeah we pretty much rock. :) You know I must be drunk if I'm telling people I barely know that they're idiots. :P

Mary said...

yeah congrats on 200! i'm always amazed that you can come up with stuff pretty much daily... keep those ideas flowin.

and yeah i actually really like the lights on the CN tower haha. I don't see what the problem is... it's better than it just being a big ugly tall concrete thing. Now it's funky and I love looking for it when landing at night time at Pearson. It's much prettier this way... in my opinion anyway. to each their own.

Mary said...

oh yeah and your canada day eve experience reminds me of a summerlicious lunch i went to with my bosses on friday... went to Canoe on the 54th floor of the TD Tower. INCREDIBLE view of the lake, but such overpriced hoity toity food. i can't complain about the dessert though... it was insanely insanely good. andrew would have been in heaven!

Claudia said...

I think it's kind of tacky, kind of the way the Eiffel Tower laser show (complete with strobe lights!) is kind of tacky.

Adelaide said...

Claud, that is EXACTLY how I feel about it.