Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fuck the wedding machine


This gift registry is useless
and it’s beginning to antagonize
my senses of style and practicality.

I don’t need pots or clocks
or scented candles like I need
a new roof and a patch
on the guilt leaking from the hole
where my family used to be.

I don’t want cookie cutter drapes
and crisp, contemporary bedspreads,
nor the glossy gleam of catalogue clippings.
I want the kind of warmth in my house
that only comes from a hot young furnace
and the rich, secret past
of every spoon and bedspread.

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Amen! Have them donate to the "Fix Our Roof" fund. :P

Shannon Teresa said...

u just moved into a new place - take the gifts girl!

Claudia said...

Yeah, start a FIX OUR ROOF fund!

I'd rather give you that than buy you some more material shit that you won't use or ever need.