Monday, July 27, 2009

Coworkers


Fingers dancing well-rehearsed choreography
across the storm-coloured buttons
of my company phone, I try to sound calm
as Trisa shoves me and ruffles my hair.
I say, “One moment, Mrs. Jackson,”
and it comes out slurred, her knuckles
ground deep into my cheeks.

I hang up, threatening
to wrap her long hair around my fist and yank.

Alicia e-mails us all from the pageant
telling us to vote for her
and asking how the office is doing.

In her wrestling with the bound paper,
Trisa impales her finger on a staple
and I offer her a Batman band-aid,
wondering, in five years,
if I’ll still know any of these people
who I see more often than my own family.

5 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I need to meet these other girls some time. They sound like fun. :)

alexis said...

there was this really good quote from the original series of the office. where the 'jim' character says, (excuse me, i'm pararphrasing) , "why do we try so hard to get along with the people we work with. we see them 5 days of the week & the only thing we have in common with them is we walk on the same carpet they do"...
shit i'm gonna try to find the exact quote

alexis said...

fuck yeah, i found it!
"The people you work with are just people you were thrown together with. Y'know, you don't know them, it wasn't your choice. And yet you spend more time with them than you do your friends or your family.
But probably all you've got in common is the fact that you walk round on the same bit of carpet for eight hours a day."

your poem totally brought me back to this quote.

Mary said...

awh it sounds like you have a lot of fun with them. it's always awesome when your co-workers are your friends.

and yeah jim's quote is interesting. we do spend way too much time with these people... but i don't agree that the only thing i have in common with them is sharing carpet. i LOVE my team here.. we have tons of fun.

Alex James said...

How weird is that, eh? The way I look at it, it's like war -- you develop some kind of camaraderie based on shared trauma that never quite goes away. Case in point I just heard from a girl I used to work with at Sears (we're talking three years ago at least) and we had a nice little chat, but there was a time we shared pretty intimate details about our lives with one another, just due to proximity. Contrarily, there's a situation like you and me -- friends by family proxy years ago, twelve years of relative silence, and now friends by individual decision. People are funny.