Thursday, June 4, 2009

If you can't say something nice...


With her usual passive-aggressive giggle,
she leans over the gates of paperwork she’s built for me
and asks –- sincerely, I think -- if I’ve having fun.

God, grant me Tourette Syndrome of the soul;
Let me answer without thought or discretion or mercy,
let bitterness and sarcasm ooze out my pours like toxins.

Let me say the most honest thing I can think of,
which is, incidentally, the cruelest thing:

“I feel nothing for you
but deep, overwhelming sympathy,
because I’m going to blow out of here
like a second wind, like youth and discovery,
and you will stay and stink forever
like stagnant water.”

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I take it you had some work to do today? :) She sounds like Crystal on Dead Like Me.

Alexander James said...

You know, it's funny because I was imagining Dolores Herbig. I really, really wish you would have said this to her face. But -- you need a job, I suppose, and telling your boss she stinks like stagnant water is probably a pretty sure way to lose that job. Too bad; this was funny as hell.