Friday, April 3, 2009

Seeks adventure


They say that if you’re lost
you should stay in one place
so someone will find you.

It’s different with adventures.

I get a thrill from
exploring the old buildings along Spadina
on company time.
Always check for unlocked roof doors,
tear down paper signs
        Freight Elevator →
for free souvenirs,
hold my breath in the elevator
rehearsing what I’m going to say to my boss
if it stops and I’m trapped for an hour.

Accidentally lock myself
in the steep back staircase
and have to walk out
through the dark, sawdusty storage room
to the back door in the narrow alleyway
where the smoking truck drivers
grin at me.

If I disappear forever
no one will ever know what happened.
I’m actually the last person left in Toronto
who doesn’t have a cell phone.
Seriously.
I know the second-last guy and he got one last week.

2 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Don't you dare go disappearing on me! We're supposed to have a long and fruitful relationship here! :P

Claudia said...

No you aren't. Simon Dougherty and Denis don't have cell phones either.