Thursday, April 30, 2009

Log of things I've lost


Blond hair I had as a child
Over a hundred eggs, potential halves of babies
My virginity

Childhood stole my infantile ability
to breathe and swallow at the same time.
Adolescence, the dexterity of mind
required to play make-believe with dolls
and not feel false or embarrassed.
Adulthood, the unmatched freedom and presence
of lazily wandering crowded downtown streets
with nowhere to be on workday afternoons.
Also the temporal claustrophobia that came
at the thought of full-time work.

IQ points due to stagnancy, alcohol
Disney princess illusions about grownup love
The belief that my father knows everything

My twenties ripped a hole
in the lining of my self-esteem
but my loved ones keep picking up
the pieces as they fall out,
polishing them, lining them
up on my windowsill
like flowers.

4 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I guess you can add faith in humanity to that list too. Or maybe that's just me being cynical. :P

Shannon said...

OMG SHAYLAAAAAA you have a blog?! wtf I didn't know, okay I'm so on this thing now

Claudia said...

:)

Alexander James said...

I don't know precisely what it is today, but I've been thinking a lot about change and the passage of time, and this really struck a chord with me, at 11:45am on a Saturday, on my second beer and trying to make songs fall out of me. Your work always puts a smile on my face; I guess the only thing that changes is the type of smile. This one's bitter-sweet.