Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Eighth year anniversary


1. Things that have changed

You have glasses, chest hair, a full-time job.

We both dress better. We’re not Christians.

I don’t play many videogames,
and when I do it’s you who beats the frightening
end-of-world bosses for me, not Sam.

2. Starting out

I fell in love with you
when you were a seventeen-year-old kid
with a Vulcan haircut and tapered pants, working
part-time at Shoppers Drug Mart.
On a high school band trip
we both missed the bus
back to the hotel and decided to
get lunch instead.

My childhood friend
Sam, queen of the gamer girls,
had been preparing me for this moment
since the second grade. She taught me
love for pixels, roll jump, codes for ninety-nine lives,
how to move tiny worlds with my thumbs.
Really, I used to know these things.
I felt the shift, I had your heart
at Star Trek and Nobuo Uematsu.

We were in Dublin, fearless
in the face of a Mad Cow scare,
eating fast food burgers, or me eating
and watching you ramble on
about videogames in one long breath
like you didn’t need air anymore,
your meal untouched
like you didn’t need food anymore.

3. Things that have stayed the same

You trap me in open spaces, talking
endlessly about new Rock Band DLC.
I’m the author of a book
that hasn’t been written.

You’re still nerdy.
I’m still odd.
We’re still happy.

5 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Yaaaay we rock! Go us! :)

Andrea said...

Congrats, guys! Happy 8th!

Mary said...

Haha awh I love you nerds. Happy Anniversary!!

Check out this blog http://colormekatie.blogspot.com/ this chick is pretty cool!

alexis said...

happy anniversary to my fellow odd nerds!

Andrea said...

Mary, I looked at the blog - I LOVE IT. Lol, I know, creepy...but thanks for sharing! :) She's definitely makes you want to appreciate the little things and just LIVE.