Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth day


I’m trying to write a book
and it’s not going well; I no longer feel
any connection to my main character
whose awareness of environmental issues
makes her a raving madman in polite, illusioned company,
much like I was two years ago.

All the facts, statistics,
important names and dates,
educational analogies -- they’re all still here
inside me, but the whole thing’s been dissected.
Rewired. Disconnected from the emotional brain
like drifting continents. There is no urgency, no passion,
only hard, rational concern. Someone says tipping point
and I’m just numb, tangled up
in cold curtains that veil
my terror.

The psychological immune system
hard at work, I can now state my belief
that the way we live is completely unnatural
and that humankind will soon be extinct
with a calm smile.

3 comments:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

Our psychological immune system is essential to our survival, unless we're killing ourselves, in which case it dooms us. Then again, killing ourselves goes against the natural survival instinct of self-preservation. I guess that means we're a failed experiment then.

Mary said...

Haha that's kind of how I feel about it too. Our world is so past any point of return that the earth will inevitably become inhabitable by our hands... As sad and angry as that makes us, we just kinda have to accept it for what it is. There's no going back. Even though today's society is much more environmentally aware, it's not nearly enough to save us from ourselves.

Might as well enjoy our time here while we can!!

Katie said...

I've just come to accept out fate at this point. I don't have the energy to change the world when the world just wants to ignore the doom.