Monday, April 27, 2009

Admiring other women and wondering


Could I ever be a redhead?
Get noticed first, have leering strangers
inquire about my pubic hair, give up
wearing pink. Natural redheads can be pretty
if you like freckles and earth tones.

Could I ever wear high heels?
Without tripping, without ruining
my arches, without fear? Strappy, sexy
shoes that plump the calf. Would I look
like a supermodel or a giraffe?

Could I ever get a Brazilian wax?
That would certainly solve the redhead dilemma,
but then would I wake, cold, from dreams of
surgery and feel five years old? Less sexy
when you put it that way.

Could I ever have D cups?
Turn tube tops to tightrope walks. Pull off
layers until I am the centre of attention
and even the women stare. Make lifejackets
superfluous.

Could I ever pierce my ears again?
No, I would miss the tiny scar
on each earlobe that reminds me
some things are just decoration,
not rites of womanhood.

1 comment:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I like you just the way you are. I wouldn't have you any other way. Also, I think you have a typo in line 3. :)