Sunday, February 1, 2009

Met in the middle


I painted my room pink
Knowing I’d be getting married soon
Moving out to live with a boy
This was my last chance for pink
My way of catching up on a girlhood
Filled with short hair and tree climbing
Not, to my mother’s woe, dolls and dresses

Our childhoods were mirrored, in a way
I was dashing Mom’s dreams of bows and Barbie
While you became the only son to turn down boy scouts

You know, it’s Super Bowl Sunday
Maybe you should take up watching sports
There's still time for a macho boyhood.

(I'm kidding, of course! Please don't start watching sports.)

4 comments:

Urban Folk said...

I remember your daunting tree-climbing skills...as another guy who never embraced sports, I was at once impressed and subliminally emasculated by your prowess. Congratulations on the upcoming next step though :)

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I'm working on it! I did kind of watch part of the Super Bowl last night. :)

Claudia said...

Hehe

Good for you, it was an epic football game to watch.

(Guess who watched it from start to end and continues to be infinitely more engaged in sports-watching than her significant other?)

Mary said...

Heyyy that sounds a lot like Johnny and I... we are not the conventional definition of our genders. Although I have a feeling I won't ever have a pink room UNTIL I move in with him... he wants a Hello Kitty bathroom. Should be fun!