Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Grown-up


December is twinkling Christmas light flicker
Shopping malls heavy with heat and sound
Homemade card on the counter
And red ribbon curls under the tree
Senses so full it takes my breath away

As a child, the month stretched on
Vast, an endless desert
Days long and marked
One by one, with tiny chocolate squares
Pulled from a cardboard calendar
Excruciating, ultimately gratifying

Now the days blow under me
Dizzy from skipping rope
Struggle to keep my feet off the ground
Christmas sneaks up, a shock
I will cling to this in sluggish January:
Lights, grandmother's mashed potatoes
Faint cinnamon smell.

1 comment:

Dorkmaster Flek said...

I'll try to be a little more cheerful. :) At least until January when we really have nothing to look forward to except more snow. :P